1. Megasthenes (Greek) (302-298 BC) :
- Megasthenes was a famous Foreign Envoy and ambassador of Seleucus Nikator of Syria .
- He visited the Chandragupta Maurya (Sandrokottos) court.
- He wrote the great book Indica which explains the reign of Chandragupta Maurya.
- He explained Social and administrative status at the time of Mauryas.
- Megasthenes was the first foreign envoy who visited India.
2. Fa-Hien (China) (405-411 AD):
- Fa-Hien is a Foreign Envoy who visited India at the time of Chandragupta II, known as Vikramaditya.
- He was a Chinese pilgrim. Fa-Hien was the first Chinese pilgrim to visit India.
- Fa-Hien came to India to collect Buddhist texts and relics.
- Fa-Hien visited Lumbini, the Buddha’s birth place.
- He compiled his experiences in a travelogue “Record of Buddhistic Kingdoms”
3. Hiuen-Tsang (China) (630-645 AD):
- Hiuen-Tsang is a Foreign Envoy who visited India during the time of Harshavardhana.
- He Reached India through Tashkent and Swat Valley
- He wrote his experiences in his book Si-yu-ki or the ‘Records of Western World .
4. I-tsing (671-695 AD):
- I-tsing was A Chinese traveler, I-tsing visited India in connection with Buddhism.
5. Al-Masudi (957 AD):
- Al-Masudi was An Arab traveler, he explained about India in his book Muruj-ul-Zehab.
6. Al-beruni (Parsia) (1024-1030 AD):
- Al-beruni is a Foreign Envoy who visited India along with Ghazni at the time of his Indian raids.
- Al-beruni is the first muslim scholar who studied Inida.
- He travelled all over India .
- He popularly known as Founder of Indology.
- His famous book was ‘Tahqiq-i-Hind’ which explains about India.
7. Marco Polo (1292-1294 AD):
- Marco Polo was a Foreign Envoy and Venetian traveler
In 1294 A.D. he visited South India.
- Marco Polo visited Rudramadevi’s Kakatiya dynasty.
- He is very popular to travel through number of eastern countries.
- He wrote his experiences in his book ‘The Book of Sir Marco Polo’.
- This book explains the economic history of India.
8. Ibn Batuta (1333-1347 AD):
- Ibn Batuta was A Morrish traveler, he wrote the book ‘Rehla’ (The Travelogue).
In his book he explained the dynasty of Muhammad-bin-Tughlaq and also the economical, social and geographical status of his time.
9. Shihabuddin al-Umari (1348 AD):
- Shihabuddin al-Umari was A traveller from the country Damascus.
- His book is Masalik albsar fi-mamalik al-amsar. He explained Indian History in it.
10. Nicolo Conti (1420-1421 AD):
- Nicolo Conti was A Venetian tourist.
- He visited India at the time of Devaraya I of Vijayanagar empire (Sangam dynasty).
11. Abdur Razzaq (1443-1444 AD):
- Abdur Razzaq was aforeing envoyer
- He was the Ambassador of Shahrukh of Timurid Dynasty
- A Persian tourist. In India he stayed at the court of the Zamorin at Calicut.
- He give a clear account of the Vijaynagar empire and his kingdom.
- Ambassador of Shahrukh of Timurid Dynasty
- Came during the rule of Devaraya II of Sangam dynasty of Vijayanagar empire.
12. Athanasius Nikitin (1470-1474 AD):
- Athanasius Nikitin was a merchant from Russian.
- He explained the living conditions of the Bahmani kingdom which is under Muhammad III (1463-82).