Sree Vidyadhiraja Parama Bhattaraka Chattampi Swamikal (25 August 1853 – 5 May 1924) was a Hindu sage and social reformer. His thoughts and work influenced the launching of many social, religious, literary and political organisations and movements in Kerala and for the first time gave voice to those who were marginalised.
Chattampi Swami was born on 25 August 1853 at Kollur in southern Travancore. His father was Vasudevan Namputhiri, and his mother was Nangamma, a Nair from Kannammoola. He was formally named Ayyappan but was called by the pet name of Kunjan – meaning “small male baby” – by all. As his parents were not able to provide him formal education, he learned letters and words from children of his neighbourhood who attended schools. Also he learned Sanskrit by overhearing the classes at a Brahmin house nearby. Knowing his thirst for learning an uncle took him to the traditional school conducted by Pettayil Raman Pillai Asan, a renowned scholar and writer who taught him without any fee. It was there that he earned the name Chattampi on account of his assignment as the monitor of the class.
Chattampi Swamikal denounced the orthodox interpretation of Hindu texts citing sources from the Vedas. Swamikal along with his contemporary, Narayana Guru, strived to reform the heavily ritualistic and caste-ridden Hindu society of the late 19th century Kerala. Swamikal also worked for the emancipation of women and encouraged them to come to the forefront of society. Swamikal promoted vegetarianism and professed non-violence (Ahimsa). Swamikal believed that the different religions are different paths leading to the same place. He strongly opposed the conversion activities of the Christian missionaries but was not against Christianity. Chattampi Swamikal throughout his intellectually and spiritually enriched life maintained a large number of friends from different regions of Kerala. He authored several books on spirituality, history, and language staying with these friends.
IMPORTANT QUESTIONS FOR EXAMS
- Real name 0r pet name of Chattambi Swami was ?
Ans : Kunjan pillai or Kunjan
2. The first Guru of Chattambi Swamikal ?
Ans :Pettayil Raman Pillai Assan
3. The Guru of Chattambi Swamikal ?
Ans : Thycadu Ayya
4. Chattambi Swami learned Hadayoga Vidya from ?
Ans : Thycadu Ayya
5. Chattambi Swami got Enlightenment at ?
Ans : Vadaveeswaram (Tamilnadu)
6. Who is known as “Sarva Vidyadirajan” ?
Ans : Chattambi Swami
7. Who gave the name “Shanmugadasan” to Chattambi Swami ?
Ans : Thycaud Ayya
8. The year which Chattambi Swamikal Visit Sree Narayana Guru ?
Ans : 1882
9. The place where Chattambi Swamikal met Sree Narayana Guru ?
Ans : Aniyoor temple
10. The book written by Sree Narayana Guru in the respect of Chattambi Swamikal ?
Ans : Nava Manjari
11. The year which Chattambi Swamikal visited Swami Vivekananda in ?
Ans : 1892(Ernakulam)
12. “I met a real man in Malabar”who said this lines about Chattambi Swami ?
Ans : Swami Vivekanandan
13. The work of Chattambi Swamikal which criticized Alathoor Sivayogi’s Mokshapradeepam ?
Ans : Mokshapradeepa Khandanam
14. Who is known as “saint without saffron” ?
Ans : Chattambi Swamikal
15. The place where Chattambi Swamikal attain Mahasamadhi ?
Ans : panmana (Kollam)